The church of St Anastasia in Verona is a fine example of Italian Gothic architecture. The church was designed by 2 Dominican friars, Fra Benvenuto of Bologna and Fra Nicolo of Imola.
Work began on what was to become the largest church in Verona in 1290 AD and lasted throughout the 14th and 15th centuries. It was completed early in the 16th century, except for the facade, which was never completed.
The church is enormous and has a very beautiful interior. It is made up of 3 large aisles supported by 12 pillars in red Veronese marble.
At the beginning of the middle aisle are 2 interesting holy water stoups. The one on the left was carved by Gabriele in 1495. It features a hunchback, a figure popular with the superstitious. It was said that touching a hunchback on the hump brought good luck.
The floor dates from 1444 and is made up of 3 colours.
The one on the right is a little more elaborate and was carved in 1591 by Paolo Orefice.
The interior could double as an art gallery. It contains works of art, sculpture and beautiful frescoes.
The Centrego Altar was built between 1488 and 1502 and dedicated to St.Thomas Aquinas. The painting of Our Lady enthroned between St. Thomas and St. Augustine is by Girolamo dai Libri of Verona.
The Pellegrini Chapel’s walls are covered in a series of 24 tableaux in terra-cotta telling the story of Christ’s life by the artist Martino da Verona.
Don’t miss St. Anastasia if you go to Verona, it is surely one of the most beautiful churches in Italy.